Friday, September 11, 2009

Making Pine Cone Wreaths With Children


Last evening, I found the little ones carrying out their own "paint" experiments with some of our late strawberries, only the rotten ones, they assured me, and what was left of our violas. Clearly, a lesson on the difference between paints, dyes, and stains is in order. But just then, I decided what they really needed was to be let out of the yard for a while.

So, we grabbed our trusty newspaper basket, and headed out in search of pine cones, though we also found some nice hills to roll down, and ditches to play in - supervised of course.




It didn't take long for the three children to fill the basket, and after a little more playing, and looking for signs of fall in the neighborhood, we were ready to return home.


A couple of sticks of hot glue, some cereal box cardboard, a cut up paper bag, and a few minutes later, we had two fall wreaths ready to hang.





I just hope cleaning the "paint" off the patio proves as simple a task.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

4 comments:

Marcee said...

Absolutely love the wreaths. Wish we had some pine cones around here!!!

Michelle said...

Ooh this is great...we have pincones all over our backyard and Emily LOVES to collect them. This will be a great project to do with them!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That is so pretty! Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

Fun Family Tips said...

I love this idea. A great way to take advantage of the massive pile of pine cones collecting in my backyard! I'll be linking!