Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Children's Resurrection Scene

My husband thought I was making a joke about our spring snow, last night, when I asked him if he'd mind pulling the Christmas boxes out of the attic for me.

He wasn't thrilled when he realized I was serious, but he's a sweetheart, so he obliged my whim, once I explained to him all I wanted was the Little People Nativity set, and assured him I wasn't planning on decking the halls for April.

It was the children's turn to be confused, when I started setting the Little People around the salt clay tomb we'd made earlier in the evening (an excellent idea Little Page Turners , passed on from a friend - check theirs out for the salt clay recipe, instructions, and some beautiful pictures).


At first, I was just going to put Mary, the Angel, the donkey, and possibly the baby Jesus in the scene. After all, they were each present for the Nativity, and the Resurrection. But, as I talked it out with the children, we realized there are more similarities between the two points in Christ's life.

The shepherd got to stay, because Jesus is the Good Shepherd. And, He also became the Passover Lamb. And, since He chose to take the foolish of the world, and make them wise, the wise men got to stay too. Though we changed their names to disciples, and now the spices they are bringing, are burial perfumes. Even the swaddling cloth on the baby fits the resurrection story. The whole evening turned into a lively discussion, and really brought home the details of the Bible accounts of both stories.



I can see we've got a new, yearly tradition, and a fun tactile display for Easter.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

6 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Interestingly, we also played with our Playmobil set this week which has 3 wise men and discussed events of Easter in connection to this play. It's amazing how many similarities you found and how you repurposed your nativity set.

Evenspor said...

That is so cool! What a great example of religion homeschooling style.

Together We Save said...

Wow - love it!! Wonderful idea!!

Unknown said...

We only have a Veggie Tale Nativity for the kiddos- I wonder how that would work out? Perhaps I should make the Tomb in the style of a refrigerator... ;0)

Ticia said...

That is a COOL idea! Now, can I track down my Nativity set before it's too late.......

Annette W. said...

WOW! Thank you!