Sunday, June 20, 2010

Spring Cleaning!

On top of being Father's Day today, it's also the last day of spring. Which, means the last day for any official spring cleaning. Having quite a late start, I decided I better enlist the help of the children. Of course, that meant actually taking the time to teach the children how to clean first.

It's not my favorite job. Usually, I prefer to just clean the house myself, because I can get it done faster working alone. But, after reading Pat Tornborg's Spring Cleaning, with the children, I decided it was probably better to teach them how to clean now, than to let them grow up to be like Ernie. Who in typical Ernie style, pretty much messes the entire house up, while "helping" Bert to clean. Clearly, his mother never taught him anything.

So, this afternoon I showed the little ones how to take out the garbage...


...straighten the shoes...


...sweep the stoop...


...empty the vacuum filters...


...vacuum the stairs...


...and under the cushions...


...and how to do a little light dusting.



Now, if I could just teach the older kids to clean their rooms, we'd really be in business.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

5 comments:

Honey said...

It's great to be a homeschooler, especially when house cleaning counts as school!

We are doing spring cleaning here as well. I can't believe spring is pretty much gone.

Thanks for visiting my blog today.

Blessings
Honey

Debbie said...

Now I have the opposite problem, Selena has to have her room just perfect, but as far as our living room, forget it, her stuff goes all over. Oh, I give her credit, lately she won't go to bed without picking up her things and putting it away! Love the picture of the kids looking at the filter, they look so puzzled.

Unknown said...

I SO need to teach the kiddos cleaning tips more...great ideas...I do believe Burt and Ernie need to visit our house...and they can bring your kiddos...'cause there's massive dust and grim to get rid of!

Deborah Stewart said...

They look like they are doing an excellent job! I love how you are taking the time to teach the process!

Ticia said...

The filter picture is perfect! I love it!