Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Math and Music - Making Drinking Straw Pan Flutes



We watched Disney's Donald in Mathmagic Land, on a recommendation from Joyful Learner.




And, I was thrilled to find a free, printable, teacher's guide for it, here. Which, suggests a number of fun, follow-up activities, including making a pan flute, out of straws.

We started by cutting straws to different lengths. We used 6 inch straws, and cut an additional quarter inch off, each time.



Then, we tested the sound, by blowing gently across the top of the pieces.



Finally, we taped the straws together, side by side, from longest to shortest.



The children LOVED making...



...and playing, their pan flutes.





Then, I showed them a YouTube video of an actual pan flute being played.

Needless to say, the "real thing" has moved to the top of their birthday present wish-lists.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

13 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

I love the videos. My kids would like that too, and would definitely want the real thing. R saw a woman playing a harp once and that was all she wanted. She got a small lap harp for Christmas, but she is still hoping for the real thing.

Phyllis said...

That is a neat activity!

Jessica said...

I LOVE Donald in Mathmagic land! We have the old old VHS of it, but our vcr no longer works.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

You can stand a lot of noise :) It would be great to get the real pan flute!

Debbie said...

Oh what fun! Selena would love to make one of these then try to figure out how to make it work.

Amy A @ Child Central Station said...

You can make some pretty cool ones out of pvc pipe too. We made them last year or the year before. I'll see if I can hunt up the instructions.

The girl who painted trees said...

My husband has one from his travels to South America and my 3 year old loves playing it. She would love to make one out of straws. Thanks for the idea.

Kristy said...

The funny thing is we just watched that video. Would you please share where you go the lesson plans to go along with it. My kids would really enjoy that, my goal this year is to make school more some thing they look for instead of dread!Thank you for inspiring and sharing!

Ticia said...

We got to see a real pan flute at the Ren Fest this year, and it was so awesome to listen to. Very cool.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Kristy - If you click the link in the post (where it says - here), it will take you to the lesson plan. It's a pretty good one :)

Brimful Curiosities said...

My grandparents had a plastic pan flute that we played when we were kids. I wonder if they still have it? Neat activity.

jenny said...

@Jessica, they have it on DVD on Amazon. It had been awhile since I had seen it. My boys loved watching it. They want to do all the activities! We are loving your art projects, especially since we've been snowed in!

Five Seconds From Crazy said...

Gosh, I am feeling so grateful that I came across your blog! It's so fabulously awesome!
We found your blog at 6:15 pm and by 6:30pm we were all making straw pan flutes!