Monday, May 11, 2015

Upside Down Images Through a Magnifying Glass


Have you ever reflected an image from outside, onto a piece of paper, through a magnifying glass?


It's pretty neat (and a lot like a pinhole camera).  As you move the magnifying glass closer to, or father away from the paper, the image will blur...


...and then come into focus...


...upside down.

If you want to know why (I'll give you a hint, it has to do with the math problem we were working on yesterday) the Naked Scientist has a fantastic, and easy to understand explanation you can read, or listen to here.

4 comments:

Megan said...

neat! will show the kids.

Phyllis said...

Your activities are always so thought provoking. I am putting this on my list of things to do when we get to optics again.

Ticia said...

Huh, I've never done that or even thought to. Now I'm intrigued to try.

MaryAnne said...

I hadn't realized you could get the image to show up on paper like this! Will definitely be trying with the kids.